Sunday 29 July 2012

Desert Island Discs - Song 2

Welcome to my Desert Island Discs. I have opted for a different approach to many people; I have divided my life roughly into 8 and picked a track for each period.
   
Here is song number two of my Desert Island Discs:
  
Far Far Away by Slade
  
I was so close to selecting Without You by Nilsson as my Mum loves that song.  It was a tough decision, but she will understand why I had to include some Slade.  It makes me think of her when I hear it anyway and especially of those times shortly after moving to Kent, where they still live today.
  
My memory of the mid 70's is all based around music - with Radio One always on in the kitchen and music coming through the walls from my Brother's bedrooms.  This track was one I played to death on my little yellow plastic record player and I would happily sing along to it.  I found the single a couple of years ago and it's almost smooth with hardly any grooves!
  
Unfairly lumped together with the glam rockers, Slade were highly accomplished musicians and songwriters.  Cum On Feel The Noize is a belting rock song and In For A Penny, a wonderful ballad.  I'd also recommend looking up a track that failed in the charts called How Does It Feel which is great.
  
Far Far Away is perfect for Noddy Holder's gravelly voice and it has hooks throughout. Play it loud!
  

1 comment:

  1. I'd all but forgotten this one. Though I see it reached #2 in '74 it's turned out to be one of their less 'celebrated' hits. But it's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete