Friday 14 January 2011

Crazy quotes

I had a review with my manager today.  You know the kind of thing... I say what he wants to hear.  We were talking about potential training as the company I work for has access to a large number of online training tools.  I said that I was unsure what was available, what I could learn that was new and what could be achieved with that knowledge.  I used one of my favourite quotes:

"You don't know what you don't know"

i.e. there could be things that I should learn about, but I don't know they exist.  We then decided that my training needs were "known unknowns" which led to a discussion about that famous mad quote by Donald Rumsfeld:

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

Got it?  I am not sure we came to any conclusion other than I need to do some investigations.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to leave a witty comment, a pearl of wisdom, a nugget of knowledge, something you didn't know, but after this post I know that known unknowns exceed the known knowns knowns and that my known known could be your known knowns and therefore would not be an unknown known, which spoils the comment really.

    ReplyDelete