Friday 17 December 2010

I'm not being Flash

I have been in Edinburgh for a couple of days. We had a team meeting on Thursday and due to some record-breaking success I have had with one firm, I had to present to the 25 of the team that had made to Edinburgh.

My manager had said that my presentation had to be inspiring (no pressure there then) and used the analogy of Queen performing at Live Aid, in that they had condensed their 2+ hour live show into a mere 20 minutes with a pulsating performance that many said was the highlight of the day (after The Quo of course!).

Anyway... as my slot was a 'good news' story and considering the time of year, I asked my manager if I could make the presentation a bit light-hearted and he agreed. So I starting by explaining the Live Aid premiss and then went on to give a full presentation managing to include 19 (count 'em) Queen song titles! I started with 'Now I'm Here' and ended with 'We Are The Champions'. I had warned the audience of course and one person managed to spot 12 of the 19 tracks and win absolutely nothing as I hadn't time to buy a prize.

Our Sales Director then presented and started by saying that he was unsure he wanted to follow me as he "couldn't top that!"

In the evening we went to a restaurant called 'The Living Room' for a Christmas dinner then on to a nightclub called 'The Electric Circus'. I was wise and got back to the hotel at a sensible time as I had to get up at 6.30am for a flight thanks to Easyjet no longer having flights during the day!

At the airport, I found sheet ice in the car park and managed to slip and fall in true comedy style with both feet in the air and landing on my backside.  Painful... but funny.

6 comments:

  1. I'd like to have hoped i'd have got all 12 tracks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you manage to get all those songs into the speech???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some came naturally... '"Now I'm here" to tell you about'

    I was particularly pleased to have shoehorned in "Another one bites the dust" though

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one likes a show off, Stephen... :-p

    ReplyDelete