Thursday 18 November 2010

Day 18 - A favourite television programme

This posting is part of the 30 day challenge...

I have a number of favourite TV programmes and would happily include many classic British comedies and series. I would have to choose The Simpsons in my top 3 I'm sure, but I have selected another American series to show 'excellence'... Frasier.

Frasier divides people, I believe because it has very strong characters that may not appeal to all. I have seen every episode from day one, multiple times and often watch a few episodes each week on Comedy Central.  American comedy can often by highly formulaic and cliched with a requirement to teach the audience something. Frasier broke that mould and didn't shy away from making highbrow jokes and also took some risks with storylines and even the script.  The are many occasions when Daphne uses very 'English' language and jokes.  What American viewer would have laughed when she commented on Bobby Charlton's hair?

It has some killer situations and lines, here are a few classics:

Daphne: Roz, is everything all right?
Roz: Yeah, I'm fine. It's just that my hair is huge and this dress is a joke.
Frasier: No, nonsense, Roz. You look divine.
Roz: No, I look like Divine.


Frasier: How can we possibly use sex to get what we want? Sex *is* what we want!

Niles: Her lips said 'no'... but her eyes said 'read my lips'

Frasier: You know the expression "Living well is the best revenge"?
Niles: Wonderful expression. I just don't know how true it is, you don't see it turning up in a lot of opera plots. "Ludwig, maddened by the poisoning of his entire family, wreaked vengeance on Gunther in the third act by living well."

- Niles is aghast at having to play Martin's 'boyfriend'
Niles: They think the best I can do is an old man with a cane!

Any finally, for those who may have wondered what a plan of Frasier's apartment looks like, wonder no more...




1 comment:

  1. Well, considering that no one ever commented on this post, I simply have to agree with you and say that Frasier was, by far, one of the best sitcoms to ever grace television. Highbrow comedy and whitty humour is not something that can easily be done, particularly by Americans, but Frasier pulled it off with ease. The show still stands the test of time, so much so that other slap-stick, over the top comedies with painfully obvious jokes and routines, simply can't top it. Frasier had class, sophistication and good taste, something that most other sitcoms lack. In a nutshell, Frasier is still one the greatest shows around, as proved by it's constant re-runs and good ratings (even now, it's still viewed regularly by millions). Great post, and great choice for the list. Live long and prosper.

    ReplyDelete