Sunday 31 January 2010

January movie update

Here are the films that Pete and I have received from Lovefilm.com and watched on TV and DVD over the past month, in reverse order, with my ratings out of ten from my movie list on IMDB.

Moon 8
Great drama with a tiny cast and budget.

Che: Part Two 6
Waaaay too long and not much of a story, compared to part 1 (see below)

The Last King of Scotland 7

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 7
Wizardy hormones gone crazy!

Che: Part One 7
A slow film, but worth seeing. (Parts 1 and 2 could have been edited into one brilliant film)

Easy Virtue 7

Australia 5
So many film making cliches and about 4 hours too long!

Aliens 8

One Hour Photo 8
Robin Williams is such a great serious actor. Impressive, yet simple drama.

Citizen Kane 7
A bit long for me, but you can see why it gets the "classic" status and it's a gripping story. The Simpsons has borrowed so many scenes!

The Incredibles 8
Just great animation, characters and story!

I'm Not There. 1
Self indulgant and embarrassingly awful. Turned off the film after 30 minutes.

Twilight 7
Silly and fine entertainment.


Final note: I thought I would round up the best and worst gay films soon.


6 comments:

  1. Seen all these films (at the cinema) and the one which has the biggest divergency with your own mark would be 'I'm Not There', giving it a fairly modest 5.5/10, despite not being a Dylan fan, with an aversion more to his own nasal-whiney voice (not much in evidence here, granted) than to his songs. Though must admit I found the film tolerably interesting.
    Moon 6/10 - largely spoilt for me by inaccurate science such as sound on non-atmosphere lunar surface, along with others. But such inaccuracies are par-for-the-course for virtually all sci-fi films anyway.
    Che - totally agree Part1 much superior.
    Have found all the Harry Potter films hard-going because of the heavy preponderance of special effects, which just get me yawning. I've read the first five books but they're not much better for me.
    Australia 7/10 - but then I think Mr Jackman is
    such a hottie.
    Citizen Kane 9/10 - my 3rd favourite film of all time.
    One Hour Photo 7/10 - v. good until near end. Didn't like the cop-out of explaining the Robin Williams character's behaviour as understandable because of his own circumstances. Would have been far more edgy and braver to have made him a genuine paedo (but I assume the film is based on a book) - but then audiences wouldn't have accepted that - and would he have then agreed to play the part?
    But thanks for all your appraisals. Of course there's no 'right' verdict. We all carry our own experiences and emotional baggage as background to our opinions, don't we? Looking forward to your next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for the comment. I suppose Citizen Kane deserves a 9 for the sheer quality and ideas (considering when it was made), but I am going on enjoyment value only.

    I appreciate that Moon had some inaccurate scenes, but I am not that clever when it comes to science, so it worked for me!

    I'm not there... hmmm - something I should have said - Pete walked out before I turned off! And I quite like Bob Dylan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Month?! You've done all of this in a single month?! We haven't seen that many in the entire last year. And, another confession, I haven't seen any of these. I'm apparently far behind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We get through 5-6 DVDs through Lovefilm.com and also Sky Plus films from Film4 and TCM and other channels.

    I didnt use to watch many films, but enjoy the variety now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog on Google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Moon" is the next movie in our rental queue, and I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete