Wednesday 1 April 2009

The spaghetti tree

A side posting in honour of todays date...

In the 1950's, Britain was not the cosmopolitan country it is today and in 1957 the BBC decided to use the nations naivety to play an April Fools day prank. It has since become revered as a true classic British TV moment.

The serious current affairs TV programme Panorama had a 3 minute story on a bumper spaghetti harvest in Switzerland, resulting from the mild winter and "virtual disappearance of the spaghetti weevil." The report showing spaghetti growing on trees was given additional creditability by using respected broadcaster Richard Dimbleby for the voice over. Pasta was not an everyday food in 1950s Britain, and was considered by many to be a delicacy!

Panorama cameraman Charles de Jaeger dreamed up the report after remembering how teachers at his school in Austria used to tease his classmates for being so stupid that they would believe it if they were told spaghetti grew on trees.

An estimated 8 million people watched the programme on April 1st, and hundreds phoned in the following day to question the authenticity of the story, or ask for more information about spaghetti cultivation and how they could grow their own spaghetti trees. The BBC reportedly told them to "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best"!

Happy April fools day. If you were "got" today, I hope it was a good one.

3 comments:

  1. I’ve been planting pasta in the backyard for years. Now I know why I never got spaghetti.
    Just gnocchi, year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA HA HA

    You brits are weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey... Thanks for ur comment...
    my blog its supposed to be like a diary (sorry for my English)... but suddenly it become my "personal get away thing" (like ur special place in ur mind??).. i dont know if u get me... most of the entries are songs that reflect a special moment in my life... some other just "stuff that i like to make public" and the rest.. the short ones, are thoughts mostly about me and my bf...

    The last one where u comment is something like this:

    "Happened suddenly
    the eyes wanted
    that i have drawn in my gut"

    see ya... n___n

    ReplyDelete