Tuesday 14 October 2008

Scouting for girls - A review

A year ago (ish) a new band appeared on the scene called Scouting for girls. The first single had a little humour in it and was OK. Then I heard the other singles - and I find them a bit annoying. Each song starts the same, has a "witty" theme, which runs out of steam very quickly and a similar arrangement every time! The lyrics for the chorus for She's so lovely are:

She's so lovely She's so lovely
She's so lovely She's so lovely
She's so lovely She's so lovely
She's so lovely She's so lovely


I have nothing against choruses that have repeated words, but Scouting for girls do it far too often and the melodies sound alike. Also in She's so lovely (pronounced lov-eeerrrrlee in a Dick Van Dyke style) we get:

I don't know I don't know I don't know
How we'll make it through this How we'll make it through this How we'll make it through this
I don't know I don't know I don't know
I think that you are lovely (SEVEN TIMES)

The lyrics for the chorus for Elvis isn't dead are:

Elvis isn't dead Elvis isn't dead Elvis isn't dead
cause I heard him on the radio
Elvis isn't dead Elvis isn't dead Elvis isn't dead
and you're coming back to me I know
Elvis isn't dead Elvis isn't dead Elvis isn't dead
yes I heard him on the radio
Elvis isn't dead Elvis isn't dead Elvis isn't dead

Note the repeating lyrics again there! In fact, in the same song we get:

I wish it was me you chose I wish it was me you chose
I wish it was me you chose I wish it was me you chose

Rules for a Scouting for girls song:

- Must include the word heartbeat (pronounced 'haaaaart...biit' by the singer).
- Each of the singles starts with a piano intro that goes something like DUH DUH (pause) DUH DUH (pause) DUH DUH (pause and repeat). Why come up with something for original each song eh?!
- Chorus must repeat phrases over and over again where possible, the same melody.
- There must be a comedic aspect to the song.

Now go and enjoy your Scouting for girls CD! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment